What Happened With This When Calls the Heart Plotline?


    Hey, howdy, hey, Hearties! Oh, boy it's been a minute since I've posted on here, hasn't it? Sorry if I've disappointed you in the lack of posts. But honestly there isn't a whole lot of news to discuss right now. This off season has been really quiet, with next to nothing to comment on. It's really quite odd how quiet the cast, and crew are being, and how little has been shared in terms of spoilers. Any who, I thought I'd pop on here, and do a short post for you guys.

    Honestly this is a post I've thought about doing for awhile now, but never took the time to write. There was a particular storyline in WCTH Season 9 that started off with a bang, but eventually fizzled to a disappointing end. A plot that was started back during Season 8, and had the potential to be one of the greatest villainous plotlines in WCTH history. Yes, I would be referring to the Wyman Walden and Spurlock plotline in Season 9.

    I was excited to see where this would go. It had all the components to be an amazing villain storyline. Wyman was a complete snake, and his accomplice... His last name gave me all the info I needed to know this could have been amazing. But alas... The storyline really just fizzled out. I'm really curious if anyone else felt this way, because I saw so much potential with these two. Especially Spurlock.

    Wyman was literally trying to buy up Hope Valley, and Lucas wanted to stop him. Wyman was truly one of the most disgusting and dangerous men Hope Valley has ever seen, and Lucas trying to out-smart him could have made for a superb plot. And then we have Spurlock... Oh I so wanted him to be related to Season 1's Spurlock! And technically he still may be, as we never really got to find out if he is or isn't.

    In the end this potentially great villain plot, turned complicated, make Lucas look... less than capable if I'm being honest, and ended in a fast and disappointing way. I was then left to rack my brain as to what exactly happened and why, and never see Elizabeth kidnapped by either man. I mean... come on! It would have worked perfect for either one of them to kidnap her. Wyman would want to get to Lucas through his love, and Spurlock could want revenge for her squealing on his brother all those years ago. (Or whoever that first Spurlock is in relation to him.) It would have been perfect! And then Lucas could have saved her, helped Nathan catch the bad guys, and even had a meaningful moment as they'd have each others' backs.

    But any who... that didn't happen. To be honest, I suppose that either villain could always come back for Season 10. Maybe Spurlock will break out and come back for revenge. Maybe Wyman will use his slippery ways and evade prison time. Who knows? This is television after all, and in television no one is ever truly gone for good unless the actor is no longer able to film.

    So in the end this post is mostly just a rant. Lol! I just never really came on here and expressed my disappointment in this plotline so I thought I'd do a short post about it. I would absolutely love to know what you guys thought about it! Did you enjoy it, or were you scratching your head by the end of that car chase? And here's a better question... How would you have written that plotline? What would you have made happen with Wyman? With Spurlock? I'd love to hear your ideas!

    Well, that's all for now! I hope you're having an amazing November so far! I'm already decking the halls, and playing Christmas music and we're not even past Thanksgiving yet. Lol! Thank you so much for reading! God Bless!

P.S. Christmas is quickly approaching! Are you unsure what to get your Heartie friend this year? Feel free to take a look at the many WCTH inspired designs at the Heart and Family Mercantile, and see if you find anything you like. https://heart-and-family-mercantile.myspreadshop.com/


 

Comments

  1. Looking back on season 9, I can definitely see why you were frustrated over the Wyman and Spurlock storyline. However, that's not the only story that was underwhelming. In season 9 alone:

    -- Cooper's crisis of faith wasn't resolved
    -- Joseph's conflict with his father-in-law was introduced in the episode before the season finale
    -- Mei's story started strong, but was drawn out for way too long. Also, I, as a viewer, didn't feel like I truly got to know Mei as a character, as she was secretive and guarded for so long.
    -- Nathan's car accident story also started strong, but was given an underwhelming resolution
    -- Elizabeth didn't get a story in season 9, even though it could have revolved around her starting the book-wagon, mentoring Anna, or saving her job
    -- Mike did very little during his time as mayor before calling it quits
    -- While Henry's story was one of the stronger ones, it felt rehashed, as Henry has spent most of his time on the show as the man who wants redemption, but doesn't feel he deserves it

    Personally, I think the show's creative team put a little too much faith into receiving another season. I'm glad 'When Calls the Heart' is continuing. But I hope the overall story is stronger in season 10. I've also noticed how little 'When Calls the Heart' news we've received so far. Maybe there'll be another Christmas Eve sneak peek special like last year?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You made such excellent points! So many storylines this past season were very underwhelming, and disappointing. I mean, how can Elizabeth, the lead, have no story? And leaving Cooper's crisis of faith unresolved is just wrong and odd. Why introduce the plot at all if there isn't going to be some sort of resolution? There are so many good stories the writers could be telling with all the characters, but most of the plots just fell flat. I hope that this new showrunner gives us some great stories this season that are deeper and get the screen time they need. They tend to focus on so many stories at once instead of a couple per episode.

      Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts with me! You made some very good points. Have an amazing day! God Bless!

      Delete
  2. The Heartie ObserverNovember 12, 2022 at 3:04 PM

    I completely agree. This plotline (along with several others) left a lot to be desired. You already know how I feel about some of the low points of Season 9, so I won't go into that, lol. But I completely agree Walden was set up to be this huge, larger than life villain, but the whole thing fell completely flat (except for the gun-slinging). Btw, do you plan on turning this post into a series by any chance?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! We got this big buildup with both Walden and Spurlock, only to have the execution fall flat. But yes! That gun slinging was neat! As to making this a series, I hadn't thought of it, but I totally would if you and any other readers would like me to. Feel free to tell me any plotlines you'd like me to discuss.

      Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts with me! Have an amazing day! God Bless!

      Delete
    2. The Heartie ObserverNovember 14, 2022 at 3:00 PM

      Speaking for myself, I would really enjoy a series! And honestly, I love reading whatever you write about, so it doesn't matter what it is. Also, I can't wait for Season 10 and to read your thoughts about it. The premier can't come soon enough

      Delete
  3. I am coming in real late here and maybe I am wrong ... are we sure the story-line of Wyman/Spurlock has fizzled out? No one has mentioned the fire at the saloon. Who set it? It is possible there was a grease fire, that would be too easily explained away, unless WCTH wants to give the saloon a "face lift" and a fire would accomplish that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would be neat if the Wyman/Spurlock storyline wasn't done yet, as I believed they had bigger potential then what the writers gave them. I just don't know if they're coming back or not as I haven't seen any BTS pics of them. Then again I've seen precious few BTS pics. Lol! And the fire really came out of nowhere. I hope they address it when Season 10 starts so we at least know what happened.

      Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts with me! Have an amazing day! God Bless!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts